Having healthy, glowing skin is every teenage girl’s dream and so many skincare products targeting different skin conditions are present on the market today. Many skincare trends and new products promise glowing skin that it becomes confusing to decide what is best for your skin. Innovative technologies are emerging in the skincare industry, but organic skincare products remain in the spotlight.
Trying out different products may help you decide which one suits your skin. However, skincare begins with a few basic steps that alone can help you achieve glowing skin naturally. Follow these 7 essential skincare routine tips to achieve a healthy, glowing complexion.
- Cleanse your skin before going to sleep. Daily cleansing removes dirt, pollutants, and dead skin cells to help you achieve radiant, smooth skin. A cleansed skin allows deep penetration of other skincare products and active ingredients, delivering nutrients to the skin.
Cleansing should be the first step in your skincare routine before going to bed to prevent clogged pores. Eliminating clogged pores can help you get rid of acne.
Also, clogged pores occur when dirt and sebum become trapped in the skin pores, blocking the natural oils from reaching the surface of the skin. They can become sites of bacterial infection that leads to acne. However, hormonal acne is more complex and requires a dermatologist’s attention.
It is important to use a cleanser, according to your skin type. In general, gentle cleansers should be used. Harsh detergents like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) are known to impair the skin barrier function and dry out the skin. Cream-based cleansers are recommended for dry skin, while foamy or gel cleansers are suitable for oily skin types.
- Always wear sunscreen. It is crucial to protect your skin from Ultraviolet (UV) rays. UV rays are known to damage skin cells. Continued exposure to the sun can lead to premature aging of the skin, causing wrinkles and fine lines. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends using sunscreen before going outdoors all year round to protect the skin. Some dermatologists even recommend using sunscreen indoors to protect the skin from the light coming in from windows.
- Moisturize your skin. The outer layer of the skin called the stratum corneum, which is composed of fatty acids and ceramides, protects your skin from irritants and inflammation and prevents loss of hydration from the skin. Proper moisture level helps to keep the protective layer healthy and hydrated.
Moisturizers, including lotions, serums, creams, and ointments are widely available. For dry skin, a thick moisturizer with hydrating elements, like hyaluronic acid and ceramides, can work best. For oily or acne-prone skin, use non-comedogenic or oil-free products that don’t clog the pores. Lastly, always apply a moisturizer to clean and slightly damp skin to lock in moisture.
- Incorporate vitamins and antioxidants into your skincare routine. Vitamins and antioxidants help enhance the appearance of the skin by fighting free radicals and oxidative stress that lead to wrinkles and dark spots. Antioxidants offer strong anti-aging benefits, which is why most anti-wrinkle creams have these ingredients. Adding these to your diet and skincare routine from a young age can help slow the aging process.
Drmtlgy is one of the many skincare products on the market that promise to restore youthful skin, containing skin-enriching nutrients. A clinical study, which explored the effects of vitamin C on skin health concluded that a three-month daily regimen of topical vitamin C application improved photodamaged skin and reduced the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Clean your makeup brushes. It is very important to keep your makeup brushes clean. For those who wear makeup frequently, unclean makeup brushes can be the cause of acne breakouts. Always make sure to clean these tools.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle ensures that your skin is at its best and hydrated from within. Healthy skin has a glowing, radiant complexion and fewer acne breakouts. Some of the essential elements of a healthy lifestyle include:
- A balanced healthy diet – Recent studiessuggest that foods having processed sugars and a high glycemic index should be avoided to prevent acne breakouts. Eat a diet comprising vegetables and fruits that supply healthy vitamins and antioxidants essential for skin health. Your diet should also include essential fatty acids such as Omega-3 to help keep the skin hydrated.
- A sleeping routine – Beauty sleep has long been considered essential for glowing skin. Having an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep every night ensures that your skin has enough time to repair itself.
- Staying hydrated – Dermatologists and clinicians emphasize the importance of staying hydrated. Drink 6-8 glasses of water to maintain healthy-looking skin.
- Having an active lifestyle – Dermatologistsrecommend that working out promotes healthy blood circulation, which would, in turn, result in well-nourished, glowing skin.
- Be gentle to your skin. It is important to remember that any product that you apply, such as makeup, moisturizer, or exfoliant, should be applied gently and not vigorously.
Pick products that are gentle on your skin. For example, chemical exfoliants such as alpha- and beta-hydroxy acids are a safer and gentler choice over abrasive physical exfoliants and scrubs.
Keep a simple skincare routine rather than incorporating tons of beauty products. It’s better to stick to a few simple products, mainly a gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen are enough to maintain healthy skin. Patch test and preferably talk to a dermatologist before you begin using active ingredients on your skin. Also, use natural products that carry vitamins and antioxidants to make you look younger naturally.
These days, new trends and buzzwords keep emerging in the skincare world. However, every girl can achieve glowing skin just by following a simple skincare routine. Incorporate a gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen based on your skin type. Eat well and keep yourself hydrated to achieve radiant skin. If you suffer from any particular skin conditions, such as eczema, hormonal acne, or dermatitis, there are many products to choose from. However, it’s best to consult a dermatologist before trying an active ingredient for the first time.